Wednesday 11 April 2012

11.04.12 re-write

Weekend Dad / Sudden Downpour

Hot in the car, driving towards Peartree Services,
my two girls argue in the backseat. Tangled up
in Blue starts on the radio. It gets me misty,
overlays childish bickering and the tyres' roll,
speeding along at eighty, cutting from light to heavy.

The rain hits: Big splats kamikaze the windscreen, arriving en-masse
like an out-of-the-blue crescendo. I say, Here Comes The Rain!
complete with punctuation, before drowning in my mundanity.
It falls faster than the wipers wave. I get glimpses of spray
and brake lights. The kids sing, Rain, Rain, Go Away,
giggle between themselves.
                                         I see sun, up ahead, white glare
where light hits the washed road like forgiveness.

No comments:

Post a Comment